GCC-ASEAN Riyadh Summit joint statement issued today, outlining key cooperation
Riyadh, October 20, 2023, The joint statement from the GCC and ASEAN Riyadh Summit was released today. The leaders of both regional organizations, invited by King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, convened in Saudi Arabia. The summit, co-chaired by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and President Joko Widodo of Indonesia, brought together their respective leaders, including monarchs, highnesses, and excellencies, along with the GCC and ASEAN Secretaries-General.
The joint statement highlights their commitment to:
1. Promote peace, security, and prosperity through cooperation, adhering to international law and non-interference in internal affairs.
2. Collaborate on specific areas like maritime cooperation, connectivity, SDGs, and economic opportunities.
3. Emphasize the importance of oceans and maritime security, following international laws.
4. Strengthen economic ties, supply chains, food, energy, and green energy.
5. Welcome the GCC-ASEAN Framework of Cooperation (2024-2028).
6. Combat transnational crime, cybercrime, terrorism, and extremism.
7. Enhance trade and investment flows.
8. Promote the multilateral trade system, including supporting Saudi Arabia's Expo 2030 bid.
9. Cooperate in agriculture, food production, and halal industry development.
10. Support sustainable transport and emissions reduction.
11. Recognize the contributions of Southeast Asian manpower in the GCC.
12. Promote labor mobility and combat human trafficking.
13. Encourage cultural exchange and dialogue among civilizations.
14. Strengthen people-to-people ties, leadership training, and sports initiatives.
15. Support Saudi Arabia's bid for the 2034 FIFA World Cup.
16. Explore tourism opportunities, including heritage and eco-tourism.
17. Cooperate in ICT, digital innovation, and cybersecurity.
18. Promote a digitally-enabled economy and sustainable use of technology.
19. Foster smart city partnerships.
20. Encourage diplomatic contacts and training.
21. Cooperate in science, technology, innovation, and environmental areas.
22. Enhance education and skills development, including for women and youth.
23. Promote gender equality and combat violence against women.
24. Empower persons with disabilities and older persons.
25. Collaborate on public health and disaster preparedness.
26. Enhance GCC-ASEAN connectivity.
27. Implement ASEAN Integration and GCC integration programs.
28. Mitigate climate change and support the Paris Agreement.
29. Support the UAE's hosting of COP 28.
30. Work toward sustainable energy transitions.
31. Welcome Qatar's International Horticultural EXPO 2023.
32. Acknowledge Saudi Arabia's Middle East Green Initiative (MGI).
33. Establish an international water organization and address global water scarcity.
34. Recognize regional initiatives and plan for mutual cooperation.
The leaders thanked Saudi Arabia for hosting this historic summit and agreed to hold a GCC-ASEAN summit every two years, with the next summit scheduled for Malaysia in 2025. The statement was issued in Riyadh on October 20, 2023.